Peggy P. Y. Pao
Peggy joined Pacific Chambers in 2020 after completing her pupillage with Dr. Gerard McCoy Q.C. S.C., Mr. David Boyton, Mr. Douglas Clark and Mr. Vincent Chen.
Peggy is developing a general practice with a particular interest in criminal litigation and criminal appeals. She has experience in cases involving offences of drugs, violence and dishonesty, as well as road traffic, immigration and sexual offences. She has appeared as understudy to Mr. David Boyton, Head of Pacific Chambers, in a drug-trafficking jury trial. In her civil practice, Peggy has represented clients in matters relating to judicial review, contractual dispute, matrimonial proceedings, personal injury and tort.
Peggy accepts instructions for both court and advisory work, and has appeared either as sole advocate or led junior in the Court of Final Appeal, High Court, District Court and Magistrates’ Courts (including Juvenile Court).
Peggy speaks native English, Cantonese and Mandarin, as well as conversational Korean and French (CEFR Level B2). She is able to draft and conduct court proceedings in both English and Chinese, and is proficient in legal (English-Chinese) translation.
- HKSAR v. FINAN, Boris Anthony  HKCFA 19, FAMC 62 of 2019 – appeared on behalf of the Respondent to resist the Applicant / Prosecution’s application for leave in respect of the deputy judge’s refusal to order a retrial in the magistracy appeal, led by Mr. John Reading S.C.
- XU Fangwen v. Deputy Registrar of the High Court & the Director of Legal Aid, HCAL 1853 of 2019 – appeared with Mr. Albert N. B. Wong (initially led by Dr. Gerard McCoy S.C.) on behalf of the Applicant to apply for leave to judicially review the (Putative) Respondents’ refusal to grant legal aid on the grounds of their respective failure to give reasons.
- Re China Saite Group Company Limited, HCCW 209 of 2019 – appeared as sole advocate on behalf of the Respondent to resist a winding-up petition.
Peggy P. Y. Pao
Tel: (+852) 2521-5544
Fax: (+852) 2524-5912
Called to the Bar: Hong Kong 2019
- LLB (Hons), University of Bristol
- PCLL, The University of Hong Kong
Administrative and Public, Commercial and Contract, Criminal Defence and Prosecution, Disciplinary Proceedings, Employment and Labour, Family, Human Rights, Intellectual Property, Land, Personal Injury, Tort