John Charles Wright
John Wright has been a member of Pacific Chambers since its founding in 1990. His practice is exclusively civil.
His civil practice encompasses contract, company, sale of goods, employment, insurance, medical negligence, personal injury (plaintiff and defence), family law and other areas in the High Court and District Court, plus mediation and arbitration.
He also practiced criminal law until 1998, defending and prosecuting on fiat in many high profile cases. He appeared in trials, always without a leader, for murder, manslaughter, robbery, dangerous drugs, theft, blackmail, sexual offences, traffic offences, import / export, breach of statutory regulations, commercial crimes and many others.
John has appeared many times in the Hong Kong Court of Appeal and four times in the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal. John has appeared in well over 1,000 trials and numerous other applications. He has vast experience in many areas of law and is known for his sound legal reasoning, straightforwardness and common sense.
- Siu Chi Moon v Rainfield Design and Associates Ltd 1999 concerning the scope of liability for breach of statutory duty for a principle contractor, contractual exemption clauses and contributory negligence by independent contractors
- Archer v The Hong Kong Channel Ltd concerning severance pay in employment law and the scope of the court’s jurisdiction to remedy injustice.
John Charles Wright
Tel: (+852) 2521-5544
Fax: (+852) 2524-5912
Called to the Bar: England and Wales 1979; Hong Kong 1985
- 1964 to 1971 - King Edward VI Grammar School Stafford
- 1972 to 1974 - Manufacturing, export sales, shipping & documentation
- 1978 - Bachelor of Laws, Leeds University
- 1979 - Postgraduate Certificate of Laws, Inns of Court School of Law, London
- Recipient, Duke of Edinburgh Scholarship for life membership of The Inner Temple
- 1979 - Called to the Bar of England and Wales
- 1980 - Pupillage with Brian Keith Esq. (now High Court Judge Sir Brian Keith)
- 1980 to 1981 - Lecturer in law, Central London
- 1982 to 1984 - In House legal/management in commercial business
- 1985 - Admitted to the Hong Kong Bar
- Hong Kong Bar Association
- Hebe Haven Yacht Club
Administrative and Public, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Banking and Finance, Commercial and Contract, Coroner's Court Hearings, Criminal Defence and Prosecution, Disciplinary Proceedings, Employment and Labour, Insurance, Personal Injury, Professional Negligence, Shipping and Admiralty, Tort.